The following slow cooker recipe was used to comfortably make 10 portions of amazingness. No idea what about the dish makes it Cuban, but after adding a little bit of chilli to the original recipe it tastes very good!
- 2kg beef brisket / shoulder / stewing steak etc. (thick cut suitable for slow cooking – I used brisket).
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes.
- 5 tbsp tomato puree.
- 4 red peppers.
- 4 green peppers.
- 4 large onions.
- 8 cloves of garlic (crushed).
- 2 red chillis.
- 4 beef stock cubes – dissolved in 480ml water.
- 2 red wine stock pots.
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar.
- 2 tbsp hot chilli powder.
- 3 tsp ground cumin.
- 3 tsp oregano.
- 2 tsp turmeric.
- 4 bay leaves.
- Pre-heat the slow cooker to the high setting.
- Heat a frying pan to high. Season the steak, add a little oil to the pan and brown off the meat before adding into the slow cooker.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and mix together. Allow to cook for approximately 6 hours on the high setting until the meat is tender.
- Using two forks, shred the beef brisket which should fall apart easily.
- If the sauce is a bit thin, take the lid off the slow cooker and cook for a further 30 mins or until sauce thickens.